safely downgrading from hamm >>>

Hi,

I have the following problem:

The system was installed with debian-1.2 and since
then "someone" installed a 'hamm' "ld" package, namely:

	ldso_1.9.2-3.deb

Why "someone" did this I have no idea as there are no
traces of any system admin documentation on the system.

I was trying to upgrade to the latest perl
and when executing

	dpkg -i ldso_1.8.10-2.deb

it output to console something about "downgrading" the package,
"chucked a fit" and left the system hanging.

This was just great! nothing would execute except for the
alrady loaded shell stuff like 'echo' ... The system upon
reboot would hang at the "VFS ... " line.

So I had to ftp to debian from the web server box,
where I found in the 'unstable' 'hamm' section the above
mentioned ldso_1.9.2-3.deb, unpack it with "-x",
tar it up, put it on a floppy along with 'tar',
use a 'rescue' disk to boot the nameserver, mount the
root partition somewhere and 'tar -cvf the hamm ld'
then 'ldconfig -v', cross fingers, touch wood and
reboot the box ... it came up.

Now, I would very much like to first find out why
does this system have the 'hamm' ld on it.  Is there
some means of querying the debian system to find out
what program/lib is depending on this 'ld'?

And if there is no program/lib that _has_ to have this
'hamm' 'ld'  I would like to know what is the *safest*
way to downgrade to the stable ldso_1.8.10-2.deb.

Also, having this "hamm ld" is it going to interfere
with un upgrade to 1.3.x ?

I wanted to upgrade perl and I got ....

Preparing to replace perl 5.003.07-2 (using perl_5.003.07-10.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement perl ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of perl:
 perl depends on ldso (>= 1.8.0-0); however:
  Package ldso is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing perl (--install):
 perl

Any ideas greatly appreciated,

ps: if replying feel free to CC: robert@rocknet.net.au
as I'm only getting the 'digest' for this group.

	Rob -