Re: Debian Installation experience

> Hey don't get me wrong - I wasn't talking about debian as a whole, just
> that IMO - the installation isn't as good as redhat's and that it should
> be possible to do something about it.

I bought a new hard drive, so I just installed Red Hat and FreeBSD here
(no, I'm not switching).  I was quite impressed by Red Hat's installation
process - very straight forward, and they ask the bare minimum of questions.
It's pretty good-looking too.  I had to give up on doing an NFS install
though - but that might just be because I didn't set up my NFS server
correctly (I had to restart every time it didn't work).  Their networking
setup was really good - but their disk partitioning setup wasn't as easy
for a newbie.

FreeBSD in comparison was really frustrating - the kernel on the setup
disk wouldn't boot on my machine.  I ended up installing their development
boot disk instead.  Then it was fairly straight forward.  I found their
disk partitioning stuff to be really confusing too.

Everybody's installation procedure asks way too many questions, but I
guess that's the way it goes...

> Now, talking about debian as a whole, the other point I want to make is
> that debian is a bit too integrated - that is - the required base of
> packages is large making a "minimum" install of debian too large for some
> uses. Maybe better use of dependencies will fix this. I don't think the
> package-system should require anything but libc and libdb. If you want an
> interface, require curses, svgalib or xbase, but separate these interfaces
> from the dpkg* command-line programs. Perl et.al. shouldn't be required
> IMO, and dependencies on gcc is definitively not good. I don't even think
> dpkg should require libg++, but I'll accept it :).

I agree mostly, the Debian base system isn't as clean and as optimized as
it could be.  But at least it's powerful.  :-)

> Is it a goal for debian not to require perl? I don't think so - and that
> is one of the things I don't like with debian. It seems that debian is
> infested with perlism. There are "smart" perl-scripts doing all sorts of
> things.

All those scripts are helping out with basic system administration.  I
think that's a good thing.  There's a lot of stuff there that I wouldn't
want to see written in 'C' or a shell script.  Perl is a good choice.
And I don't really see it as a security hole (at least the non-suid
version).

Running a system without compilers and interpreters just seems a little
bit too much like the Microsoft style of doing things.  And if someone's
trying to break your system - that fact that you don't have these
compilers and interpreters installed is only going to slow them down,
not stop them (only good security will do that).

Cheers,

 - Jim