Re: Debian Installation experience

| I installed debian a few weeks ago and I noticed that when an installation
| disk is corrupted you have to start the installation all over again. If I

Well. Here's what I say to new users here: take seven disks, format them under DOS using a full format (not quick), copy the disks images using rawrite, and verify them. I know it's not "nice", but it's better than having to do the whole thing several times. (This happened to me once).

Nowadays Debian can be installed using zero, two or seven disks. For floppy-less installations you'll need a CD. For two, you'll need either a CD or NFS, or copy base.tgz to a DOS partition.

| Also I have trouble understanding what all those diskettes are for.

Five of those disks have the base system. Everything needed to boot linux but the kernel, and a little more. An editor, for example. Several libraries. dpkg. perl-base (bare bones Perl). A shell.

The kernel is on the rescue floppy. And there's a ton of drivers for several net cards and stuff like that on the remaining disk.

| I think the fact that the debian installation requires 7 diskettes as
| opposed to redhat which requires two (three?) and the seemlingly(?) slow
| ftp-installation makes a debian-installation _almost_ an order of
| magintude slower/more frustrating to install than redhat.

I've never used the ftp method. I know stick to "mountable". RedHat is a fine product, but it lacks Debian's solid foundation. It's *too* PnP. Once you "get it" with Debian, it's pretty easy to guess where something is to be found. Debian support is better, too. And Debian went "up there" and came back. ;-)

Cheers,

				Marcelo