Re: mc problem

>>David Puryear wrote:
 >Hi,
 >
 >allen@cleo.murdoch.edu.au (Lindsay Allen) wrote:
 >
 >  > I am nearly certain that, some time back, I could put the cursor (in mc)
 >  > over a .deb file, press Enter and find myself "inside" the package.  I ca
 >  > do it right now on .tar.gz files, but with .deb files it shows a
 >  > directory OTHER with a filesize of 0.
 >  >
 >In your /etc/mc/mc.ext you should have these:
 >
 ># deb
 >regex/\.deb$
 >        Open=%cd deb:%d/%p/
 >        View=%view{ascii} dpkg-deb -c %f
					^^^
Thanks. Using '%f' is recommended, tho'.

It enables you to view contents on <F3>, but it's not what Lindsay asked
about.  That is done  by /usr/local/lib/mc/extfs/deb -- it's a Perl script
and I can't see anything wrong with it (I don't know much about Perl tho'.)
I guess either *.deb format has changed since it was written or the problem
is with Perl.
FWIW I've perl-5.004-2 here, and *.deb browser doesn't work for me.

Dimitri.