Re: xinitrc vs. xsession (was Re: Window Managers)

> On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Gary L. Dolan wrote:
>
> > I hate to think that my version of 1.2 (now 1.3) is idiosyncratic, but the
> > global xsession and the global xinitrc files are identical. I have attempted
> > in my own halting way to parse my way thru the file(s), and the result
> > appears to me to be that some resource files do not get read. I would be
> > pleased if someone would correct my impression if I am wrong.
>

> My second point is (possibly a bug). Shouldn't /etc/Xsession have $startup
> defined as .xsession and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc have $startup defined as
> ..xinitrc? At the moment, both files have $startup defined as .xsession. Is
> this a bug?

On my system (using XFree86 3.3-3, except for xbase, which is 3.3-2),
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is a symbolic link to /etc/X11/Xsession, which
is how you described it.  So the global xsession and the global xinitrc
are in fact the same file.

My $HOME on my system only has a .xsession, but on other accounts, I
routinely have .xinitrc a symlink to .xsession, so I only have to deal
with one startup file.

Perhaps it should be better documented that .xsession and
/etc/X11/Xsession are the Debian way to do it.  When I was figuring
this out months ago, it was a tedious matter of chasing through man
pages to find the config files that specified the start-up scripts,
which were symlinks to the real scripts, etc, all to find out that I
was looking for .xsession.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our