Re: AGAIN: Help please: /dev/printer disappeared

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Allan Black wrote:

> Correct. /dev/printer is created by lpd, when it starts up.
>
> The only way to create it is to restart lpd. Try:
>
> kill lpd
> remove /dev/printer
> start lpd
>
> lpd should then create /dev/printer.

Hi Allan,
first of all many thanks for your excellent explanation.
Unfortunately, removing /dev/printer and killing /restarting lpd does not
create a printer socket. Would a reboot be more helpful? Then I'd have to
wait until Saturday, because the machine acts as an application server for
our HP-UNIX-machines :-(

Or should I re-install the lpd-package? What do you think?

Thanks a lot
Rolf