octave

I installed octave with the original installation of debian 1.1 some months
ago. I have not tried to run octave until now. It doesn't get very far- it
says "can't load library 'libg++.so.27' ". I looked for that library on my
system and can't find it either. The file /var/lib/dpkg/status says
"install ok installed     depends gnuplot, less".  gnuplot and less are both
installed. What should I do? Thanks for helping.
                                       Chuck Kaufman