Serial link speed

In case anyone regarded my last message on that thread as a flame, it was
not.

The question is, how can one insert data into the serial stream (even when
it is idle) when pppd owns the lock one that port?

I would be interested to know what my modem is really doing, since it is a
USR Sportster that I just upgraded the ROM in for 33.6 support (or
whatever it REALLY connects at and maintains).

I believe being able to send the modem an ATI6 command and receive the
reply during the connection will precisely answer the original question.

Thanks
-dh