hdparm HOWTO ??

I'm running Linux on a used 486DX2 66 (got it for less than $250) and
really want to get the most out of it...

Just looked into hdparm tonight. It seems the -u1, -m xx options are good
choices. However there are several warnings of possible filesystem
corruption regarding these options. The package only comes with a manpage,
which is obviously oversimplified for a person like me who don't have
much knowledge of hard drives. Just wondering if there are some sorts of
hdparm HOWTO that have more details about using the program.

I want to use

   hdparm -u1 -m16 -Z /dev/hda

for my Seagate ST-3780 hard drive on VLB IDE connector (controller with
OPTi something chipset? not quite sure).

Does anybody out there have any experience using hdparm on a similiar
configuration or just any configuration? Any results, good and bad?

Any input appreciated.

HH