Re: I just can't get 1.3 to work using dselect....

Hi Tony,

ok, let's see. If I get you right, the installation of the base system
works correctly. You can boot your Debian GNU/Linux system from
harddisk, you have got a network connection. Fine.

Now to the problems. You start dselect, choose ftp as access method, do
an update (This works?), select your packages, start install. And then
it stops with the dpkg-something-message you posted.

Did you try not to call select and not to change the selection and go
directly to install after access and update? Does this fail, too?

If you haven't got through the installation process, I presume, you
don't have gcc on your system - it's not on the base disks. (Soemone
correct me.) I do not understand why dselect should fail, though. But
first things first. Could you try to download the gcc- and cpp-package
from stable and install them manually with dpkg -i <package>. Does this
work? If not, could you post the output?

Regards,

	Andree
--
                     | Institute of Geophysics   phone: +49 40 4123 4389
 ANDREE LEIDENFROST  | University of Hamburg       fax: +49 40 4123 5441
    Geophysicist     | Bundesstrasse 55      e-mail: leidenfrost@dkrz.de