LILO--Dual Booting Two Linux Systems

I wnat to run a side by side comparison of two linux distributions--Debian
and one other.  I plan to install them on the same IDE drive under separate
(monolithic) partitions.  What does LILO need to recognize this set up?

  mbr on hda
  dos on hda1
  swap on hda2
  linux1 (/root) on hda3
  linux2 (/root) on hda4

So far I can get linux to boot any number of kernels as long as they are
on the same partition--the linux distro that I installed last.  LILO
works fine booting dos and linux, but not linux and linux.  LILO doesn't
recognize the hda4 partition as a place to find a valid /root. (the
linux on hda3 was installed last).  Pressing tab during bootup only gives
me the choice of DOS and a couple of kernels on hda3

As an aside, the debian machine I'm at now has both DOS and linux
partitions marked bootable.  The Caldera machine (the target machine for
this experiment) has only the DOS partition marked active, yet the
linux installed on it boots just fine.  Does it really matter?  (No, I
haven't tried it yet)

I asked this question on the caldera list and searched using dejanews,
but no luck--only some other poor schmuck like me trying to use LILO to
boot two different distributions off two different SCSI drives.  Is this
question harder than it first appears?

                             thanks
                             .kfh