Re: [General Q] What is inetd?

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> What is inetd?  Where can I read up more on inetd and its advantages /
> disadvantages?  I am currently running my apache off of
> /etc/init.d/apache .  I was wondering whether there is any adavatage of
> using inetd to start apache.

inetd is the 'internet daemon'.

It listens on selected ports and starts services according to its config
file(usually /etc/inetd.conf)

If you only use apache for local docs(like dwww) and to develop/test web
content, the inetd method may be better. I have used it this way before
with ncsa httpd.

My understanding is that using inetd to start most servers is better on a
low memory machine, unless a service is often used or takes too long to
start.

If you look at your inetd config file you will see which services it
starts and can then try them to get an idea of the performance.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +