Re: [Q] How to create a FTP only account...

Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> > How do I create a FTP only account in my machine?  I do not want this
> > account to be telnettable (ie. a shell account).  Iam running wu_ftp on
> > my linux machine.  I also have to do this on a machine running Solaris.
> > This other machine is running Solaris' built-in ftpd.  Would I be able
> > to achieve the same there?
> >
> > Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> This user should just have /bin/true as a shell.

That works perfectly for denying telnet connections.  But attempts to
login for ftp fail with the following message -

530 User iflash access denied...

I checked my /etc/shells and noticed that /bin/true was not listed
there.  Inserted a line for it and BOOM!  Worked like clockwork.

Thanks a lot!

> As a joke, I know one ISP that to prevent "telnetting" put to
> everyone's account a .login file with "logout" line in there :)
> Everyone just smart enough to ftp a "better" .login gained easy
> shell access...

ROTFL!

Sudhakar

--
"An elephant is a mouse running an Operating System." -- Donald Knuth
Sudhakar Chandrasekharan                            (415) 937-2354 (O)