Re: "Official" Debian 1.3 CD-ROM/Release Methodology

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> So, what changes am I suggesting for the Release Methodology? Well,
> it would be presumptuous of me to suggest changes when I don't know
> what is currently in place. I would suggest that a few basic procedures
> be followed though. When a change to a package is released, have
> two people **other than** the maintainer test it. One should upgrade
> an existing package, the other should install it "fresh". When a
> release is being put together, have a number of people install it
> from scratch on a clean system. Now of course we'll need volunteers
> for this. Now although I don't have time to maintain a package, I'd
> be more than happy to be a package tester for one or two. I'd also be
> happy to be a test release installer. I have a spare 150MB IDE disk
> and I'd be glad to test-install releases before they become official.
> I think we should have sign-ups for both of these functions just as
> we do for the package mainainer-ships.
>
> Comments?

We already have such a system. It's called the Debian Testing Group. I act
as the coordinator of the group's activities. I would be glad to add you
to the mailing list and to the list of testers. We can use all the help we
can get. Please advise if you are really interested.

The practices you indicated in your post, are, for the most part, already
implimented. (within the limits imposed by volunteer help) We are
currently making point releases based on what testing can determine about
the quality of the packages targeted for stable. These prospective
packages "wait" in bo-updates and are tested by the group from there. When
the next point release is to be made, those packages in bo-updates that
are considered tested successfully are moved into bo-fixed and the point
release is declared.

While the group produced much testing effort before the release of 1.3.0
the amount of testing done since then has reduced to a few very
contientious testers. Any long term contributers to the group's efforts
are greatfully accepted.

Thanks,

Dwarf