Re: turning off idle IDE drive

> On Jun 26, Alex Yukhimets wrote
> > Hi.
> >
> > I noticed recent discussion on how to spin off idle SCSI hard drive.
> > Could anyone point me to some information on how to do it with IDE
> > drives?
>
> Hi,
>
> try the hdparm package. Read about the hdparm -S option in the
> manpage.

Thanks a lot for a pointer, but...

When I try to shut down my 100MB DOS drive using "hdparm -S1 /dev/hda"
I get the following:

/dev/hda:
 setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: I/O error

"hdparm -t /dev/hda" is not expiring either:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  read() failed: Unknown error

The only working command on this drive is "hdparm -T /dev/hda":

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   32 MB in 66.34 seconds = 0.48 MB/sec

This is pretty old (though IDE) drive - Conner CP3104 and might not
be able to support all the modern EIDE drives commands.

Does anyone know any other way to spin this thing down?????

Thank you.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)