Re: terminology/concept questions

Shells are command interperters to the kernel.  Users can execute commands
from a shell at the prompt, like: ls, uptime, cp, rm...

The shell in returns takes our input, parses it, and hands instructions to
the kernel to execute.

user --> shell --> kernel

Much like a graphical interface (windows) interperts to shell commands:

user --> gui --> shell --> kernel

Different shells have different features to offer the end user, but in the
end they all do the same thing, interpert user input.  If you want to
learn more about them, csh ( or tcsh ) and bash are fairly easy to learn
and have some nice features like command/filename completion using the tab
key and up-arrow history.  You can learn this from the man pages, by
typing man bash, man tcsh at your SHELL prompt :)

This is just a simple, brief explanation of what they do however.  Shells
are very powerful and have a lot of features that can take a years to
expertise.   Hope this helps.

Dennis