Re: Where is make-kpkg

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Paul Rightley wrote:

> I have finally decided to try to compile my kernel 'the Debian way.'  Until
> now, I have always done it 'manually.'  In /usr/dos/kernel-source-###/
> debian.README it says to use make-kpkg.  I cannot find this command on my
> system or by a search under dselect.  I am 'up-to-date' with stable and have
> dpkg and dpkg-dev 1.4.0.8 installed.

$dpkg -S make-kpkg
kernel-package: /usr/sbin/make-kpkg
kernel-package: /usr/man/man8/make-kpkg.8.gz

$dpkg -s kernel-package
Package: kernel-package
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 154
Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
Version: 3.28
Depends: perl (>= 5.002-8), dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev
Recommends: libc-dev, gcc
Suggests: kernel-source
Conffiles:
 /etc/kernel-pkg.conf 28320856966555b9d568cf827129bbf8
 This package provides the capability to create a debian
 kernel-image package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a
 kernel source directory tree.  It can also build the kernel source
 package as a debian file, the kernel headers package. In general, this
 package is very useful if you need to create a custom kernel, if, for
 example, the default kernel does not support some of your hardware, or
 you wish a leaner, meaner kernel.
 .
 If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
 custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
 need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other
 platforms).

Cheers,

Joost