Re: Smail and .forward file or pipe to procmail?

Johannes Martinez <jo@alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

> 	How can i set up smail so that it pipes messages to procmail?  I
> have a small userbase and would like to set up fetchmail to pull
> everybodys mail and deliver it filtered through procmail.  However doing
> this as root it uses roots .procmailrc to filter it.  Where in smails
> config could i set this up properly?

> TIA,

Well, I think you can setup smail to use procmail as the default local
delivery agent.  Then have fetchmail pass mail off to smail.  Each
user has there own .procmailrc and you're all set.

I have done this with exim and since it is based on smail to some
extent (config files are similar), you should be able to do something
similar to the following (in smail's config file):

procmail_pipe:
  driver = pipe;
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail -d ${local_part}",
  user = root

# director
procmail:
  driver = localuser,
  transport = procmail_pipe;

These are from my /etc/exim.conf
You may have to modify them slightly for syntax.

Erv

--
Graduate Student				edwalter@iname.com
Department of Chemistry			      walter@chem.wisc.edu