Big problem with TeX/LaTeX

I was wondering if anyone has run into this lately and if it is something
I am doing wrong...

I have used the 'new' tetex packages of Debian for some time now.  I was
recently 'forced' to remove X and tex from my machine temporarily.  Now I
have X back and running, but am having problems getting the tetex packages
to install and work.  (I have seen at least one other posting describing
one of the symptoms I am having.)

I start with a 'tex-clean' system. Then I do a dpkg -i tetex-base_0.4pl6-5.deb
This seems to work fine. Then I do dpkg -i tetex-bin_0.4pl6-8.deb and things
start going wrong.  When it tries to configure the package, it produces errors
like:

>Please set the environment variable TETEXDIR or TEXMFCNF correctly.
>For details see the teTeX and the Kpathsea manual
>kpsetool: language.dat not found.
>kpsetool: modes.mf not found.
>kpsetool: texmf.cnf not found.
>/usr/bin/texconfig: cd: /web2c: No such file or directory
>Error opening terminal: generic.
>/usr/bin/texconfig: /tmp/texconf4119/logfile: No such file or directory
>Output of initex is in /tmp/texconfig.out

>If you want to change the default settings,
>use /usr/bin/texconfig to configure teTeX.

Running /usr/bin/texconfig produces similar errors.  Now, when I go to
latex something, I get

>This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)
>I can't find the default format file!

Which is the symptom reported recently in this mail list.

What should I do to get a working latex installation?

Paul
Paul Rightley                     DX-3 Hydrodynamics, MS P940
Los Alamos National Laboratory    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: (505)667-0460              Fax: (505)665-3359
Email: Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov>