Re: Debian 1.3 install enters a reboot cycle

Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> > The PC is a Compaq Deskpro 6000:
> >   PPro 200, 64 MB
> >   Adaptec 2940U SCSI (IRQ 11) w/ one 4.3 GB disk attached.
> >   ATAPI PD-CD (The CD shows up as /dev/hdc on Slackware)
> >   Matrox Millenium graphics card, IRQ11
> >   SMC EtherPower 10/100 (Tulip-based) Ethernet card.
> >   PS/2 mouse.
>
> Ah hah!
>
> You have to re-build your kernel, unfortunately, The Deskpro series
> have been known to be really sneaky about where they hide their BIOS
> information.
>
> Check out http://www-c724.uibk.ac.at/XL/ for more information.

Yes, but that's for an older Deskpro XL.  Mine's a brand new Deskpro 6000.
Only the names are similar.
Slackware 3.0 and 3.2 both install without a hitch on this Compaq.

--

I tried making a new disk using:

bash# dd if=resc1440.bin of=/dev/fd0 obs=18k
2880+0 records in
80+0 records out

and it also suffered from a reboot cycle at the same spot of the Debian boot.

--

I tried the disk in another machine (which usually runs Slackware)
and it doesn't make as far as the Compaq.  I get:

aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.
qlogicisp: PCI BIOS not present
eata_dma: No BIOS32 extensionspresent.  This driver still depends on it.
o Skipping scan for PCI HBAs
aic7xxx (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered spurious interrupt
scsi0: BRKADRINT error(0x1)
 Illegal Host Access
Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0

Note that this PC is an older P60 with EISA bus (not PCI) and Adaptec 2742
SCSI controller.  The SCSI devices on the bus are never scanned; at least,
never verbosely.  This machines runs stock Slackware 3.0 with Linux 2.0.30
without patches.

NOTE:  I don't really care that Debian won't install on this second PC.
This was just a check to see if the diskettes were okay.  I want Debian
on the new Compaq Deskpro.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada