Re: Debian 1.3 install enters a reboot cycle

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> I'm guessing the kernel name is 'linux'.
>           No matter, as you can hit the <tab> key at the boot prompt to
> see a list of valid boot images.

I tried that, but it didn't work.  Perhaps this hints to a bad image?
I'll try booting with the same diskette on another PC...

> However, I don't think your 2940U is the problem.  The no_reset
> parameter is to prevent the HBA from resetting the SCSI bus, which it
> does by default to allow all the SCSI devices on the bus to initialise.

Then I don't need the `linux' label anyway.

> Could you submit a more detailed description of your problem?  When does
> it reboot?  What is the "infinite cycle"?  What kind of hardware in your
> machine, etc...

The last line I see during kernel bootup refers to IDE-1 or IDE-2
and then it reboots.

The PC is a Compaq Deskpro 6000:
  PPro 200, 64 MB
  Adaptec 2940U SCSI (IRQ 11) w/ one 4.3 GB disk attached.
  ATAPI PD-CD (The CD shows up as /dev/hdc on Slackware)
  Matrox Millenium graphics card, IRQ11
  SMC EtherPower 10/100 (Tulip-based) Ethernet card.
  PS/2 mouse.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I've been using Slackware since 1994
(and SLS before that), and was looking forward to trying out Debian.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada