plip connection to laptop breaks after laptop disk powers down

Hi,

recently I connected my laptop B via PLIP to my Tower A at home. Both are
running Debian 1.2 (Kernel 2.0.27).

Everything works wells as long as the laptop's disk is busy. After 120
sec been idle the disk is run down. This is the moment when the
connection between Tower and laptop seems to be down.

To be precise:

- on tower A I can no longer ping, rlogin etc. to laptop B
- using B, I CAN PING A
- after that I can again reach B from A - for another 120 sec

Of course I get plip-driver messages on A like these:

Jun 20 09:47:40 nana kernel: plip1: receive timeout(2,c7)

As long as the line is busy, everything works quite well. My
throughput is about 38 kB/sec.

My plip is

Jun 20 06:04:09 nana kernel: NET3 PLIP version 2.2 gniibe@mri.co.jp
Jun 20 06:04:09 nana kernel: plip1: Parallel port at 0x378, using assigned IRQ 7.

Any hints ?

Kind regards

Gerd