Re: RPM to deb package conversion

> According to the announcement for Debian 1.3 at the Debian web site,
> dpkg can now be used to install RPM files (at least that's how I read it).
> I upgraded to 1.3, but I don't see anything about this in the dpkg docs or
> man page.  I tried it on an rpm file ( dpkg -i something.rpm) but it didn't
> work.
>
> Anybody know how to use dpkg to install rpm packages?

Yes, you have to install debian package "alien" from admin (it depends on
package "rpm"  so you would have to install that also). After installation
the generic use of alien is the following:
alien -i -n something.rpm

As aresult you will get a package something.deb which you can install
using dpkg -i

Good luck.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)