Will an XFree 3.3 xserver work with v3.2?

The v3.3 mach64 xserver supports the Rage II 3D chipset, but can I just
insert it into my otherwise XFree v3.2 setup?

I'm avoiding XFree v3.3 until it settles down (has it already?) but I
otherwise live off the unstable tree.

I'd like to steal my wife's new ATI GPT 3D (4MB SGRAM) since I think
it's faster than my regular ATI GPT Mach64 (4MB VRAM).  ;-)

--
...RickM...