Re: xfig cannot handle colors in 16-bit mode

> Ciccio <ciccio@arrakis.es> writes:
>
> > > I recently bought a new VGA card, and switched to 16-bit mode for X11,
> > > but I just found out that xfig can't handle colors now.  When I try to
> > > select a color, xfig prints the message "Can't allocate necessary
> > > colorcells, can't popup color panel".  This is obviously true, since
> > > X11 doesn't allocate color cells in 16-bit mode, but it is not
> > > necessary.  Is there a workaround to tell xfig to use the existing
> > > colors, or can I tell X11 to simulate a writeable colormap?  I didn't
> > > see that a bug report has been filed on this yet.
> > >
> > I'd don't use xfig, so no specific answer. If you have enough RAM,
> > try to get X into DirectColor mode. BTW, there are reasons why one
> > would like to use a color map even with 32 bit colors: when we want
> > to change colors without repainting all the image. This is used as
> > well for animations as for color (gamma, etc) corrections.
>
> I think I have enough RAM (4MB S3-Virge), but the XF86Config manpage
> (for XFree86 3.2) states that only 8-bit color will support the
> DirectColor type.  TrueColor is the only one supported on 16 or
> 32-bit.  Just to be sure, I tried out all three statement types and
> only the TrueColor is accepted in 16-bit color.  Is there some other
> way to set up DirectColor, or is it now allowed under XFree86 3.3?

I did'nt check that part of the man page, but I'm pretty sure you got
something wrong about this. TrueColor as well as DirectColor use a
decomposed color map, usually 256 entries per R, G and B. The difference
is that TrueColor is static, while DirectColor allows usage of color maps.
Actually these visual type have little to do with how many bits are
available for each color. If I remember right, each color component
internally is handled as a 16bit value, so much more than those 2^24 colors
are (theoretically) possible. It's an X issue, as it is X which denies you
getting a color map.

BTW I checked out xfig and it worked fine for me (TrueColor visual), so
your troubles have to be any where else. I'm running the version in bo.

BTW2 I don't think you could do it with 4MB, unless your card supports
multiple color maps on hardware level.

--
Ciccio C. Simon
ciccio@arrakis.es