Timer for internet connections

This is not actually a debian query.

I dial in to get a PPP connection. Problem is, I'm limited to 2 hours.
After that, I get cut off automatically. I log on with Seyon, then execute
pppd as root. I run the browser etc as a normal user. Is there a security
risk?

What I want to know, is is there a way to time the internet connection? So
that I have some idea of when the connection is terminating. Something
that is automatically started by pppd when it starts and when it exits.

Is there a way for my modem to stop pppd when it ends, at present it just
goes on running when the modem is cut off.

BG