Quantum Fireball EIDE uncooperative

Greetings.

So I'm running 1.2.x of Debian, 2.0.27 kernel, and my machine (PPro 200,
Tyan 1668 ATX DP MB with 1 installed, very recent Award bios, 64M Ram,
and this !%@$! Quantum EIDE Fireball drive on MB EIDE controller) was up
for about 45 days, until Monday night.

It was pretty hot, and when I got home from work, the drive was HOT and
was basically not functioning (ie Linux crashed when I tried to type
"pon").  Reset gave me "Primary Hard Drive fail"

I have a TEAC 12x EIDE CDROM drive on the slave, and it would
occasionally also not be recognized.

Rescue disk, came up with the minimal kernel, ran e2fsck on /dev/hda1
(root on the fireball) and it fixed a few errors.  I mounted it,
everything looked okay, rebooted the machine, and we were golden.

Fearing another hot day (I need an air conditioner, what can I say), I
shut it down until just now.  Same deal with the drive (except no damage
this time).  Failed to be recognized, boot from rescue, e2fsck reports
clean, mount it and all is well, reboot without rescue, everything is
fine.

What is the likely cause for this?
Bad EIDE controller on board?
Hard drive damaged from heat?
Other?

I should point out that during boot, the hard drive spins up, green
light looking normal, then spins down with the green light blinking
slowly and non-stop.  I am not familiar enough with hard drive fails to
know exactly what this means.

I should point out that the CDROM mounts fine as I type this.  I have
power management off, I skip the memory test, and this was not happening
45 days ago when I had last rebooted the machine.

This got much longer than I had hoped, sorry.  Thanks for any wisdom!

-dh