Long time to login prompt: telnet and ftp

I have a Win95 box networked to my Linux (Debian 1.2) box. The latter was
booted while an ftp and telnet session were active (back when I had to rm
my XF86Config file to kill the flashing screen). Now, when I telnet or
ftp to the Linux box from the Win95 box, I get a connection but there are
several minutes before I get a login prompt. w shows a load ca .3. Any
idea what might cause this and possible cure. I have rebooted both machines.

Cheers,

Jim