linux 2.1.x -- poor multitasking?

Does anyone else find the multitasking in Linux 2.1.42 and thereabouts
pretty bad? My system is a Cyrix 6x86-P150+ with 32mb, and while
I'm compiling the kernel for example, other processes run very
slowly, especially when accessing the disk; it can take
five seconds to get another prompt, a long time to login, etc.
The load isn't very high either.

It doesn't happen in 2.0.30; I first noticed it around 2.1.3x.
I do have Triton DMA support enabled, in case it's relevant.

Anyone else having this problem? Unfortunately I don't
subscribe to linux-kernel because I expect the volume is very high.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.