Re: Can't deinstall package

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Christian Hudon wrote:

> On Jun 16, Mark Phillips wrote
> >
> > I have a package "kernel-source-1.99.7" which for some reason is half
> > installed.  When I try to deinstall it I get this:
> [snip]
> >
> > How do I get rid of it?
>
> If reinstalling the package really isn't an option, you can try passing the
> --force-remove-reinstreq to dpkg when removing the package.

Thanks for the advice.  I gave it a go and came up with:

# dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq kernel-source-1.99.7
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 28305 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kernel-source-1.99.7 ...
The file /usr/src/.linux-versions does not exist. This is an
misconfiguration, making it hard to provide a /usr/src/linux
symlink if the latest target is removed.

Please Hit return to continue.

Error: /usr/src/linux not a symbolic link, not removing.
dpkg: error processing kernel-source-1.99.7 (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 kernel-source-1.99.7

So I still can't get rid of it.  Any more ideas?

Thanks.