Re: long user names for POP mailboxes

> > I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is possible because I know some
ISPs
> > do it.
> >
> > Here's what I want: to allow users to have an e-mail address and a pop
> > mailbox that is greater than 8 characters. For example:
> > MyFirstName.MyLastName@mydomain.com.
> >
> > Here's my setup: smail 3.2.3, fetchmail 3.9.8 and the standard in.pop3d
> > that comes with Debian.
>
> Just add the long usernames to /etc/passwd, you might have to do this
> by hand, I can't remember if adduser check the length. I've been
> doing this for nearly a year with no problems. Login is ok, pop3d is
> ok, smail is ok. You will probably run into problems after about 100
> or 255 chars in length, depending what the smallest buffer is in all
> the utils.
>
> Hope this helps
> Stephen.

Duhh, I guess I could of just tried it. It does seem to work...

Adduser does limit you to < 9 chars. So why is this limit around? Is it
harmful in any way to exceed it? I know ls -la only shows 8 chars but I
believe the files system tracks owners and groups by number so that
shouldn't make a difference.

Just wondering...

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com