Re: POP mail questions

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> > > 	3. Can the downlaoding tool also be used to uplaod mail to my Betcom
> > > 	   account?
> > >
> > No, but smtp will do that for you.
>
> Note that if you use SMTP, you should use your ISP as your smarthost. This
> is because if you have dynamic IP, your claimed hostname might not equal
> your reverse DNS lookup and many mailhosts out on the net may refuse to
> talk to you.  This is not a problem if you update your hostname every time
> you connect to your ISP but not many folks go this route.

It didn't work that way for me.  I had been forwarding my mail from my
prairienet.org account to my concentric.net account.  I had my mail
configured so that the mail would look like it was coming from my
prairienet account even though it was posted through concentrc.
Eventually concentric increased security, and then concetric bounced
all my posts.  I changed configuration so that I quit trying to post
as prairienet, but it still didn't work.  So I reconfigured smail to
post a satelite system without a smart host and it works again.

Mark
Blunier@concentric.net