Re: Is there a Debian 1.3 "Unleashed" available?

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Daniel J. Mashao wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
> >
> > > All of the cheap CD outlets will soon be selling the "Official CD" at
> > > very good prices (lunch money, and I mean McDonalds). I'd suggest you
> > > get the book separately from the CD.
> > Will they include all the .deb packages? or just a selected few as they
> > currently do. I hope they include all the stuff one finds at master in
> > stable, non-free, etc. I don't have a fast connection from home so I
> > prefer to download as little stuff as possible
>
> I doubt that any CDs will include non-free, as usually the stuff in that
> directory is there because there is a restriction on distribution.

Actually there are quite a few packages in non-free that are ok for
distribution. I include about 20 on the CD that I distribute. Many of the
restrictions that make a package non-free (such as "can't be distributed
with proprietary software) don't apply to a CD distribution of the "free"
portion of the Debian distribution. Care must be taken, but once it is
determined to be ok for CD it is certainly safe for the end user.

Luck,

Dwarf