Re: X install under 1.2

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Benjamin T. White wrote:

> Did I read your post right?  Did you rm XF86Config!!!

Yep, it was the only thing I could think of (rebooting did not work). I
then purged everything and re-dpkg'd in the order suggested. I could only
type 2 characters at a time between flashes :-(

> XF86Config is the configuration file for the X system.  It contains all the
> information about your graphics card, screen, mouse, and other important
> information that your X client needs to run.  The flashing screen problem is
> most likely a problem with the screen and/or graphics card setup.  You need to

Quite logical. It occured during configuration of SVGA for Cirrus 542x
chipset.

Looking at the error log from the last attempt is another clue - "SVGA:
'cldg5429' is an invalid chipset."

> produce a XF86Config file for your particular hardware setup.  You can either
> read the documentation on the XF86Config and edit the sample (that you
> deleted), or you can use the xf86config program to produce a config file that
> should work if you know what hardware you have.  However, the config files

You see, I know what hardware I have and XF86Setup appears to create the
configuration file OK, but xinit and startx both fail with fatal error
111. I was hoping someone knew of a specific problem with 1.2 and Cirrus
542x or more generally with X and 1.2. Most of the other problems I have
come across have been solved with a search on hotbot. This time I could
only find 2 references which were in Japanese.

Cheers,

Jim