ip aliasing and virtual servers

I am new to Linux (just installed it a week since) and I want to get the machine to answer to additional ip addresses and run virtual servers with apache.  Is there a comprehensive guide to this anywhere?  I have read the mini-HowTo on ipaliasing but its not very clear to me (being a newbie!)  and I really need a step-by step guide.  I haven't a clue how to re-compile the kernal or set up modules.  Any help appreciated.