Help with in.pop3d

Hello all,

I have a site running Debian 1.2.  I need to be able to access mailboxes on
the linux box with POP3 clients on macs networked to the linux box.  I seem to
get every thing setup correctly but the remote POP clients give the error:

I said PASS

and the POP server said:

-ERR  cannot open mailbox /var/spool/mail/ben
Permission denied.

in.pop3d seems to be running as root when it is invoked by inetd, so what
gives?  The mail boxes exist, the connnection is made but no mail is
delivered!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Ben