Re: UPDATE(not fixed):xterm -ls not logging in utmp??

Randy Stocking writes:

>Brian K. Servis writes:
>> Brian K Servis writes:
>> >

>> >I noticed that when I was logging in with xterms that my login's were
>> >not being recorded in utmp.  I have the *loginShell resource set
>> >true.  So I tried a command line 'xterm -ls' and got this warning:
>> >
>> >Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
>> >
>> >If I do 'rxvt -ls' I don't get any error and the utmp file is updated.
>> >
>> >What is causing the error and how do I fix it?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Brian
>> >

>> UPDATE:
>>
>> It turns out that StarOffice's setup script was setting the LANG
>> variable to 'us' I changed it to 'en_US' as suggested in other
>> threads and the error went away. BUT the utmp is still not getting
>> updated with xterm login shells.  Rlogin, rxvt, telnet all update
>> utmp fine.  Anybody have any advice?
>>

>Check xterm's +ut option and utmpInhibit resource (from the xterm man
>page).

Ok.  I tried both with no results.  The man page doesn't mention what is
default so I tried every combination possible.  The man page also says
utmp is in /etc but it is in /var/run so I made a link from /etc/utmp to
/var/run/utmp but that did not help.  This is strange, no matter what,
'xterm -ls +ut' should update utmp but it does not.