setup problems

I seem to have screwed up my setup playing with PPP.  Welsh's Install
Guide got me going when I was running Slackware but the setup is
different under Debian, or maybe Linux has changed during that time.
I've read the NAG doc and NET-3 HOWTo, ifconfig and route manpages
but something is still screwy.

My hostname is emma and I get a uucp feed from panam.wimsey.com so my
address is rick@emma.panam.wimsey.com .

This is my startup as I understand it:

/etc/init.d/boot runs /etc/init.d/network which contains the lines
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   emma    localhost

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain  panam.wimsey.com

# cat /etc/networks
localnet    127.0.0.0

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
localnet        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        1 lo

# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1

Does that all seem correct?  I can telnet/ftp to emma, localhost,
127.0.0.1 (and 127.0.0.0?) through loopback ok but I'm having some
Tin problems that I think are related.

Thanks.
Rick
--