Re: CRC Error

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Lalovic, Drazen wrote:

:I am trying to install Debian 1.3.0 on my machine. It is 100MHZ Pentium
:with 32K of RAM, 2GB hard drive, Pioneer SCSI CD ROM, and two Ethernet
:Cards; 3Com 509 and 3Com 590.
:Hopefully I will be able to put firewall on it.
:
:The very first problem was my RESCUE disc. It can not be read and BIOS
:reports "CRC error". Once in a while my computer reads it, but at the
:end of installation process when trying to reboot either from floppy or
:from the hard drive it reports "CRC" error again.
:I have tried several different floppy disks from different manufacturers
:and two different computers to do download with no success..

I used to be a technician ... if you had brought this computer to me I
would check the floppy drive subsystem for mechanical failure.  For some
reason, the data coming from the floppy is corrupted, hence the CRC
error.  I would check the drive, the cable, and the connector ...

There are programs for DOS that will run fairly thorough checks on your
hardware.  We used CheckIt.  Unfortuantely, it is a commercial product.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any freeware / shareware
utilities that do the same ...

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Oh, I almost forgot ... have you tried *writing* the floppies using a
different system?  I've seen floppy drives that read ok but couldn't
write coherent data at all ...

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff

:Note. I was able to install older version of debian but always with some
:problems, either with Ethernet cards or with SCSI CD ROM.
:
:Does anybody know how to fix this problem.
:
:Thank you
:Drazen Lalovic
:
:
:--
:TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .
:Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
: