Re: Resuming interrupted download from http-site

At 03:45 AM 6/10/97 -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
>Johann Spies <jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za> writes:
>
>> I know ftp reget can resume an interrupted download of a large file.  How
>> do you do it from a http-site?
>
>I think, but I'm not sure, that wget will do what you want.  See "man
>wget" for more details.

http is a stateless protocol whereas ftp does maintain state.  It's hard to
deal with an interruptted transfer without state.  This is similar to what
NFS does to maintain a connection in the face of the server, say,
rebooting.   While not completely inconceivable to maintain state with
http, which is what cookies do, this would be difficult.

There is in HTTP 1.1 a provision for a persistent connection, which does
have support for interrupted responses.  Apache 1.2b10 is HTTP 1.1
compliant, though I can't speak to how well it handles this provision.  I
believe the 3.0 versions of Netscape and Explorer are HTTP 1.1, but I can't
vouch for that.
--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@danenet.wicip.org>
DANEnet, Connecting Dane County's Communities