Saving logfiles

Hello,

    Debian comes with an automated saving and rotating of logfiles.
    This seems to be nice in most cases. We need to save logfiles
    for a long time. Therefor we cant rotate them.

    My question is if somebody has adapted cron and savelog scripts
    to save actual logfiles with date extensions and move old
    logfiles to a special directory. Im also interested in a
    mechanism to transmit old logfiles from a number of machines to
    a centralized backup facility.

    Would be nice to hear about if somebody has already done such a
    setup or started to do so.

    bye,
    Karsten