Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

> I've been thinking about the entire newbie/documentation thing a lot
> lately. There has to be a way for newbies to get into the
> /usr/doc/*/*gz files before they know about gzip, zcat and zless. And
> there has to be a way of saying RTFM without being rude.

   I think it's more than simply saying RTFM.  For myself, I've found
many cases where the FM isn't decipherable.  Having seens countless
shareware programs from the DOS world I'm constantly amazed at the
documentation of unix programs.  I don't mean this to knock the
programmers, I'm just stating something that many newbies see.

   Yes, there should be a way to make sure that newbies RTFM.  But there
also has to be an outlet for newbies to get clarification and answers
after pulling their hair out from reading the FM.

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...