Re: pcmcia modem/fax problem

( Re Message From: Giuseppe Vacanti )

> Howdy,
>
> I have a no-name modem/fax combo oon my laptop that is not correctly
> configured. It is apparently detected, but I then get:
>
>  cs: overrun in get_next_tuple for socket 1 (5 times)
>  serial_cs: GetFirstTuple: No More items
>
> I'm running a 2.0.30 kernel with 2.9.5 pcmcia-cs/modules.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction?

I have had the same experience (and similar with a no-name ethernet
card). In both cases the problem is solved by warm-booting the machine
(Ctrl-Alt-Delete), after a first cold (switch-power-on) boot with the card
inserted.

In the case of the ethernet card, one warm-reboot does it.
In the case of the fax-modem card, it takes two.

Tedious, but once it's up it's up. (I can't hot-swap cards, however).
(By the way, I'm using Red Hat; but the problem looks exactly the same.
I think the cold boot applies power to the card, but the card is not
configured first time, and is "recognised" as "anonymous memory card".
On the warm-reboot, the probe seems able to successfully find the now
"live" ethernet card. I have no idea why it takes a further warm-reboot
for the fax-modem).

I hope this helps.
Ted.                                    (Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)