Re: Non-interactive modem hangup

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Rick Jones wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 branden@apocalypse.sequitur.org wrote:
>
> > On 7 Jun 1997, John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > Just killing pppd will do it unless your modem isn't set up properly.
> >
> > Then my modem isn't set up properly.  I got a private email mentioning
> > something about how the modem should automatically hangup once DTR is
> > dropped, which happens if "modem" is given as an option to pppd.  It is in
> > my case, so the problem lies with my modem.
> >
> > I've got a Hayes Accura 144B + FAX, so once I dig up the manual I'll come
> > back to the list with my solution.
>
> at&c1&d2 fixes these problems which isn't the factory default.  The &d2
> tells it to hangup, with autoanswer inhibited, when DTR is droped.

I do indeed have these flags set; they are in the the default stored user
profile, and were set when I ran my tests.  The modem does not hang up when
pppd dies (start-stop-daemon sends a "polite" kill, right?).

According to my modem manual:

&C1  Track presence of carrier detect signal.
&D2  Monitor DTR signal.  When an on-to-off transition of DTR signal
     occurs, hang up and enter the command state.

I can't figure out if or why DTR would not be asserted on the local end,
unless this doesn't work for internal modems...?

I also assume there isn't some kind of logic failure on the modem -- I
figure that something that would take out DTR detection would have much
more serious side effects.  But I'm not a EE.

On the remote end, a server side ppp-daemon proper is not running.
Instead, it's slirp.  I don't know if that makes any difference, but I
doubt it...the problem, I would guess, is somewhere between pppd and my
modem.

Can anyone enlighten me here?

--
G. Branden Robinson