Re: PPP & Compression: Useful or Useless?

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Note that most modems these days make V.42 compression, which is LZW.
> BSD compression would be redundant.
>
> Van Jacobsen compression is, however, good to use on a V.42 connection.
> It takes advantage of the redundancy of frame information in a point-to-point
> connection from one packet to the next to reduce the size of the header.

I was looking at the man page for pppd and see a way to disable VJ
compression but not to enable it.  Is this a default that wasn't mentioned
in the man page?  Other defaults are mentioned but not this one.

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html