Re: was Netscape Communicator: now programs that will crash your LInux box

W Paul Mills <wpmills@sound.net> writes:

> > > This might be a libc problem. That seems to have been the problem
> > > with Netscape Communicator. Graphic intensive pages seemed to be
> > > one of it's first noticed crash and reboot sequences.
> >
> > A libc, netscape, WordPerfect problem should _NEVER_ crash linux itself.
> > (for the kernel, libc is just a part any application like netscape/gcc,etc,
> > so bugs in libc should, just like bugs in netscape, not crash linux).
> >
> > Do you guys really mean crashing linux, as in a solid system crash, not
> > be able to telnet into your mashine, etc? Or just a sigseg of
> > netscape/whatever?
>
> In my case it was a crash as in the computer instantly rebooted!
> No lockup, no chance to telnet in, just reboot on its own.
> I know this should not happen. Netscape Communicator is the first
> program I have had crash linux. I have been running linux for
> several years ( since kernel 1.1.08 or so ). A libc upgrade did
> seem to solve the problem.

I had this sort of thing happen once too... I think I was playing with
an early beta of the gimp.  My take on it was that it took the X
server down in some nasty way.  The X server, of course, is running as
root and thus should be more capable of buggering the whole system.

Shouldn't happen, however...

--sf