Boot question

Greetings,

I'm trying to change the ethernet card in my machine from a 3c509 to an
SMC 9330 BDT, but during boot the 3c509 module gets loaded and the tulip
module doesn't.

My question is where are these modules loaded into the kernel during boot?
I thought they would be in the rc.* files, or etc/init.d, but grepping for
insmod and grepping -i for 3c turned up nothing.

Perhaps someone could shed some light on the problem for me.

Thanks.

Chip
(diogenes@xig.com)