Re: unhosing my compiler

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, J.H.M.Dassen wrote:

> On Jun 5, stephen farrell wrote
> > Oh geez... what have I done?  I can't seem to figure out which library
> > is missing, but if I try to compile, e.g.:
>
> > 	/tmp/cca027141.o: In function `main':
> > 	/tmp/cca027141.o(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `_stdprintf'
>
> OK. Linker errors. Please provide us with the following information:
> - the version of binutils (binutils contains the linker) ("dpkg -l binutils").
> - the output of trying to compile your program with "-Wl,--verbose"
> - does compiling work when you add '--static'?
>
> > And you can imagine it gets worse for something bigger!  I figured I'd
> > hosed libc.a or similar?
>
> libc.a is only used when compiling "-static"; otherwise the dynamic library
> /lib/libc.so* is used)

Ray is correct here and I think, possibly closing in on the problem. I
have seen this problem when the .so links aren't built right.

Normally there is a .so link, a .so.X link and a .so.X.YY dynamic library.
The linker will sometimes not follow a symbolic link more than one link,
so, if the .so link is to .so.X with .so.X linked to the actual library,
the linker will fail to find the library. Change the .so link to point
to the acutal .so.X.YY library and the compilation should get much better.

Note: This is only likely if updating binutils (as suggested by Ray)
doesn't fix the problem. You should try that idea first.

Luck,

Dwarf