Re: lpr: unable to get official name for local machine (fwd)

Carey Evans writes:
>Brian K Servis <servis@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:
>
>[snip]
>
>> /etc/hosts:
>> 127.0.0.1                       localhost loopback widget-servis.ecn.purdue.edu
>> widget-servis
>> #(plus a bunch of other frequenctly used hosts at ecn.purdue.edu)
>
>[snip]
>
>> /etc/init.d/network:
>> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
>> route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo
>
>I have found that having anything other that "localhost" after
>127.0.0.1 caused me problems in the past.  I use the dummy driver to
>create a fake network:
>
>--- /etc/hosts ---
>127.0.0.1       localhost
>192.168.117.2   psyche.evansnet psyche www.evansnet news.evansnet
>
>[ 192.168.*.* are available for provate use; see RFC 1918. ]
>
>--- /etc/hostname ---
>psyche
>
>--- /etc/init.d/network
>#!      /bin/sh
>ifconfig lo localhost
>route add -net 127.0.0.0
>
>ifconfig dummy0 psyche
>route add -net 192.168.117.0
>
>[ dummy if it's in the kernel, dummy0 if it's a module. ]
>
>There still seem to be things that expect _one_, _permanently_
>connected interface and hostname.  :-(

Ok, I think we are getting closer to figuring this out.  I tried your
suggestions(changed my "machine name" to servis.snet) and rebooted.
/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1                       localhost
192.168.1.1                     servis.snet www.servis.snet ftp.servis.snet servis

/etc/resolv.conf
domain snet
search snet ecn.purdue.edu
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20

/etc/hostname
servis

/etc/init.d/network
#ifconfig lo localhost
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
# create the dummy network
ifconfig dummy 192.168.1.1
route add -net 192.168.1.0

However, when /etc/init.d/boot called /etc/init.d/network ifconfig
complained about host name lookup failure of localhost!  This is run
before rc2.d parts are run.  This is really starting to make me mad.
I have read almost all the network related howto's, man pages on all
the conf files, etc.(each giving slightly different methods of setup
by the way) Even if I use the IP address in /etc/init.d/network it
still doesn't fix the problem.

WAIT A MINUTE......I just discovered something as I was checking the
log files. ifconfig is making kerneld try to load some net-pf-4 and
net-pf-5 module?  What is this?  I can't find any reference to it in
the kernel-source.

%root% date ; ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
Wed Jun  4 12:49:12 CDT 1997

[snippet of /var/log/daemon]
Jun  4 12:49:12 servis modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4
Jun  4 12:49:12 servis modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5

This must be the root of the problem!  Any pointers.

Sorry for the length of this but I am trying to give as much info as
possible up front.

Thanks,

Brian
--