Re: new kernel

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Syd Alsobrook wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a machine that i just upgraded to v1.3 (that went perfectly). My
> question is this I want to upgrade the kernel (now v2.0.27) the easiest way
> possible can I copy the kernel from the install floppies for v1.3 (has
> kernel 2.0.30) or is it easier just to recompile the kernel?

It would probably be easier to copy the kernal, BUT I still recommend you
to recompile the kernal. Then you will get a kernel that is optimized
for your needs, which doesn't include alot of non-used drivers.

After you installed the kernal-source be sure to read
/usr/src/linux/README

other usefull information is available in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt
(if you want to use modules that is)

Tip: make menuconfig is nice, and have a easy-to-use built in
help function (also availabel in make config)

Good luck
/fax
--
+- Fredrik Ax -+------ Snailmail ------+- Where to reach me on the net -+